Top Tips For Visiting Australia From The UK

6th August 2017

Australia- a dream destination for many- whether you’re after the hustle and bustle of Sydney, the quirky, laid-back vibes of Melbourne or the breathtaking beauty of The Great Barrier Reef, Down Under may not have to remain a dream much longer as the Country is more accessible than ever.

For Brits travelling to Australia, doing your research is the best thing to do if you’re after a great deal. Having been to the Country myself, I learnt a few tips and tricks to ensure I got the best deal. With direct flights from the UK to Perth becoming available in the near future, it will be even more tempting to start planning your dream trip….so there’s no better time than now to share my top tips!!

1.  Book In Advance

This one may speak for itself, but if you book well in advance, you’re going to get a much better price if you were to book the week before. Fares are around 50% lower if you book five months in advance rather than two, and booking in January can save you around 12%.

2. Keep an eye out for sales

Many airlines have a New Year sale on flights, so if you’re planning a trip for the Summer, keep an eye out around the New Year. Flash sales have become more frequent, with some airlines surprising customers with a 24-hour sale every now and again. Keep up to date by following your favourite travel agents and airlines on social media so you don’t miss out.

3. Sign up for newsletters

In addition to social media, signing up for newsletters will keep you in the loop. Also signing up to price alerts will keep you updated with fluctuating prices..remember, these change up to 3 times a day! Just make sure you add the email address to your contacts and check your spam folder.

4. Fly from Edinburgh

Flights Down Under are usually the cheapest from Edinburgh, so it may be worth catching the coach or train- Megabus £1 fares, looking at you- to save yourself some £££ in the long run. Plus, if you travel to Edinburgh a couple of days in advance, it’s two adventures in one!!!

5. Go Incognito

You’re right to think that the price of a flight has changed if you’ve search it a few times. It’s sneaky, but the cookies in your browser allow your searches to be monitored, so the price will change because if you’ve searched it a few times, you’re likely to be considering booking it. Go undetected to stop this from happening.

6. Be Flexible

If you can, make sure you’re flexible in your travel dates. Don’t restrict yourself to one day- the price may be £100+ cheaper even just one day out!

7. Stopovers are your best friend

Even though direct flights to AUS are coming our way very soon, a stopover may still be your best bet. The most popular places to stopover while flying to Australia are Dubai, Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Hong Kong. Flights that contain a stop are more likely to be cheaper and if you plan it out right, you’ll be able to explore the connecting City! Ten hours in Dubai?

8. Collect Miles

Joining a frequent flier scheme can be a great way to earn money off flights and extras. Similar to Top Cashback, websites like Avios is a flight rewards programme where you collect points every time you shop through their links to over 1,000 retailers. The more points = the bigger flight rewards.

TELL ME: How do you save money on flights? Are there any tips I’ve missed??

Comments (13)

• Julia

7th August 2017 at 6:38 pm

We’re planning to go travelling for a year at some point in a couple of years and definitely looking to visit Australia. This would definitely come in handy! 🙂

Julia x

1. Emma Kershaw

6th September 2017 at 4:55 pm

Ahhh that sounds amazing! Definitely keep me updated with your plans xx

• Yasmin

10th August 2017 at 2:34 pm

Amazing tips Emma!! I hope I get to visit Australia at some point, sandy beaches down under are definitely calling my name xx

Yasmin x
    The Sweet Seven Five

1. Emma Kershaw

6th September 2017 at 4:55 pm

Thanks Yasmin!! Can deffo imagine you in Australia! xx

• A Love Affair with Beauty

16th August 2017 at 8:09 pm

I really want to visit Australia but the thought of the flight and preparation that is needed beforehand scares me a little so these tips are really helpful. xx

1. Emma Kershaw

6th September 2017 at 4:54 pm

Thank you so much, I hope you manage to visit xx

• corinne & kirsty

16th August 2017 at 8:09 pm

I have lived in New Zealand for a year and had to travel back and forth several time and I can only tell how important it was to book waaaay in advance and collect miles. I flew from Paris and not to Australia but I guess the concept is the same; I didn’t know for edinburgh! good to know

1. Emma Kershaw

6th September 2017 at 4:53 pm

Wow New Zealand!!! How was it? YES deffo! When I came home from Australia I ended up booking my flight super last minute and it would’ve cost me so much less had I done it in advance xx

• Kayleigh Zara

16th August 2017 at 8:15 pm

These are some really amazing tips! I’ve never thought of flying from Edinburgh before but if it saves money that’s amazing x

Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

1. Emma Kershaw

6th September 2017 at 4:52 pm

Thank you! Catching the Megabus up to Edinburgh the day before and getting two adventures in one may be the best bet and will hopefully still save you money xx

• Liz

16th August 2017 at 8:52 pm

This list is perfect for people planning trips! I’d love to visit Australia but I don’t think it will be for another few years! I look for cheapest flights by using Skyscanner and then creating a document that compares prices/airports etc. Lots of work but it means you get the best price!

Liz x
    naturalhazardsandmore.blogspot.co.uk

1. Emma Kershaw

6th September 2017 at 4:49 pm

Planning is definitely the best way! I’ve learnt this the hard way but now I make sure I’m fully organised. Thanks so much for reading xx

• Julia

22nd October 2018 at 11:59 am

I mean I already live in Australia but just in terms of travelling in general, I think booking advance is such a massive thing. If you book last minute you just end up throwing away so much money you could’ve saved I’ve found.

Julia // The Sunday Mode